Monday, June 8, 2009

Review 24: Envy by Anna Godbersen

Title: Envy
Author: Anna Godsberen
Publisher: HarperTeen
Rating: 8.5/10
The Lowdown:
The sequel to Rumors, Envy picks up where the previous book left. It talks about the troubled marriage of Penelope and Henry Schoonmaker, even though Henry has his eyes on Diana. It talks about their troubled romance, and how they come through it. It also talks about Elizabeth Holland and her ordeal with her boyfriend. And of course, there is the gossip, tidbits, and all things Luxe!
The Good:
A. I like the format the Luxe books follow. Before every chapter, there is a newspaper clipping/ book clipping/ letter/ something that sets the mind frame for the chapter, as well as interesting tidbits about Victorian-era society.
B. The last few pages were quite dramatic in nature.
C. How Elizabeth's little crisis was dealt with. It was quite charming, actually.
D. The book art. Those dresses make me swoon with jealousy. After all, they are so pretty.
E. The side story of the Holland's maid and her rise to fame.
The Bad:
A. Most of the story, quite frankly, was tedious. Not at all page turning. The only thing I liked was the ending, and that was the reason I moved it from a 6 to an eight.
B. I hated the character of Penelope Hayes/Schoonmaker.
C. I also hate the fact that everyone falls in love with Diana. She isn't that special, ya know.
D. The death of Mr. Careyhorn. He was such a nice man. Tear :(
E. The whole thing between Henry and Diana. Oh she cheated on me, oh, he cheated on me, I hate her, I love her. Gosh. It's SO predictable.
The Consensus:
If you have never read the book, don't try. If you have, you might get bored in the middle, but convince yourself to reach to the end. I promise, it is QUITE satisfying :D

Quick Overview:
Plot: 3.5/5
Original Appeal: 4/5
Ending: 4.6/5
EXTRA-ordinary: 2.8/5

No comments: